Saturday, November 16, 2013

Mistakes

I make a lot of mistakes. It's hard for me to remember that "trying" or "attempting" is what keeps me going forward. Trying IS the goal. Trying, putting forth effort, is where the success lies.

It has taken so long for me to comprehend that, and still I forget it daily and get mad at myself for making mistakes. They teach in school to strive for perfection. They teach at church to strive to be more like our Lord. What I missed out on learning was that mistakes are beautiful.  My devotional reminds me that each hardship and struggle is an opportunity to turn to God first, and grow closer to Him. This is so difficult to remember and put into practice. If I lived a life with no mistakes though, I wouldn't have anything to blog about!

I battle constantly with perfectionism, and maybe some of you do as well. We are conditioned to expect the best of ourselves. Let's not forget though that the bottom line is this: as long as we keep breathing, we are pleasing to God. He wants us to live and sometimes the very basics of that function are all that we can manage. And that's okay. We're okay. Cut yourself some slack.

Let us shoot for the best we can be each day, whether that is thriving or simply surviving.

Love,
Charlotte

No comments:

Post a Comment